Carolyn Ali is a content strategist and writer based in Vancouver, BC.
With a degree in political science and a certificate in digital marketing, Carolyn produces data-driven content marketing for brands.
Carolyn currently works in Brand and Marketing at the University of British Columbia. She was part of the digital content team at Destination British Columbia when it was named Marketer of the Year by the BC chapter of the American Marketing Association.
As a writer and editor, Carolyn has worked in-house for a technical publishing company and two high-volume newsrooms.
She was the travel and food editor of the Georgia Straight–Canada’s largest urban weekly–for a decade. She also worked as a copy editor for the Bangkok Post, Thailand’s leading English-language newspaper. (She still misses eating freshly cut pineapple from the fruit stall outside her office.)
Carolyn brings a diverse perspective to her projects. She worked in Japan for several years and has travelled to almost 60 countries. Her biggest regret is not taking that free stopover in Brunei.
Carolyn’s work has earned multiple North American writing awards:
- Best Byline Travel Column (less than 250,000 circulation) – North American Travel Journalists Association (Gold award) 2014, (finalist) 2015
- Best Service Feature in Canada – Travel Media Association of Canada, 2013
- Best Outdoors/Adventure Story in Canada – Travel Media Association of Canada, 2011
- Finalist for Best Special Focus Online Travel Article (sports and recreation) – North American Travel Journalists Association, 2014
Carolyn has appeared as a spokesperson on live television and as a guest on television and radio talk shows. Here are a few clips.
- JoyTV CARPe Diem, Staycations aired across Canada, December 3, 2018
- Global Morning News, Three Easy Wine Getaways in BC aired in BC, May 14, 2018
- Global Morning News, Quick Getaways to the Thompson Okanagan aired in BC, May 21, 2018