Based in Vancouver, BC, Carolyn Ali has written hundreds of published articles.
With a degree in political science and a recent certificate in digital marketing, she produces data-driven content for brands. She creates everything from website copy to consumer emails, sponsored content to social media ads.
As an editor, Carolyn has worked in-house for a technical publishing company and two high-volume newsrooms.
She was the travel and food editor of the Georgia Straight–Canada’s largest urban weekly–for a decade. She also worked as a copy editor for the Bangkok Post, Thailand’s leading English-language newspaper. (She still misses eating freshly cut pineapple from the fruit stall outside her office.)
Carolyn brings an international perspective to her projects. She worked in Japan for several years and has travelled to almost 60 countries. Her biggest regret is not taking that free stopover in Brunei.
Carolyn’s work has earned multiple North American writing awards:
- Best Byline Travel Column (less than 250,000 circulation) – North American Travel Journalists Association (Gold award) 2014, (finalist) 2015
- Best Service Feature in Canada – Travel Media Association of Canada, 2013
- Best Outdoors/Adventure Story in Canada – Travel Media Association of Canada, 2011
- Finalist for Best Special Focus Online Travel Article (sports and recreation) – North American Travel Journalists Association, 2014
Carolyn is part of the digital content team at Destination British Columbia, which was named 2018 Marketer of the Year by the BC Chapter of the American Marketing Association. The redesigned HelloBC.com consumer website recently earned four awards, including 2018 HSMAI Adrian Award – Best Travel Website.
Carolyn has appeared as a spokesperson on live television and as a guest on television and radio talk shows. Here are a few clips.
- JoyTV CARPe Diem, Staycations aired across Canada, December 3, 2018
- Global Morning News, Three Easy Wine Getaways in BC aired in BC, May 14, 2018
- Global Morning News, Quick Getaways to the Thompson Okanagan aired in BC, May 21, 2018